The Legend of Incognito Mode Fully Translated


If you still have any idea “Incognito mode” for Google Chrome it’s a good way protect your privacy onlinenow is a good time to stop.

Google has agreed to delete “billions of records” the company collected when users browsed the web using Incognito mode, according to documents filed in federal court in San Francisco on Monday. The agreement, which is part of a lawsuit filed in 2020, details years of Google disclosures that show how much data the tech giant collects on users — even when they’re not browsing.

Under the agreement, Google must also update the Incognito “splash page” that appears every time you open an Incognito Chrome window thereafter. it was already updated in January. The Incognito splash page clearly states that Google collects data from other websites “regardless of which browser or browser you use,” and that “other websites and apps that integrate our services may still share information with Google,” among other changes. Details of Google’s collection of personal information should also appear in the company’s privacy policy.

In addition, some data previously collected by Google on Incognito users will be deleted. This includes “private browsing data” that is “older than nine months” from the date Google signed the payment document last December, as well as private browsing data collected in December 2023. Some of the documents in the case that refer to Google’s data collection methods remain in print, however. , which makes it difficult to assess the extent of the deletion.

Google spokesman Jose Castaneda said in a statement that the company “is happy to remove old information that has not been linked to any person and has never been used for any type of person.” Castaneda also said that the company will pay “zero” dollars as part of the agreement after facing a penalty of $5 billion.

Other steps that Google should take are to continue to “block third-party cookies within Incognito for five years,” to partially update IP addresses to prevent the re-identification of anonymous data, and to remove header information that can be used to identify users. with Incognito mode enabled.

The data removal section of the settlement agreement follows the proposed changes to Google’s Incognito data mode and how it describes what Incognito mode does. For almost four years, Google has been removing third-party cookies, which the company he says it plans to shut down completely by the end of 2024. Google too changed Chrome’s Incognito “splash page” feature in January is a weak language that means that using Incognito is not “private,” but “more private” than not using it.

The ruling’s support is “unconstitutional,” meaning its primary purpose is to end Google’s actions that the plaintiffs say are illegal. Termination does not waive future claims –The Wall Street Journal reports that plaintiffs’ attorneys filed at least 50 lawsuits in California as of Monday — even as plaintiffs find financial support for private lawsuits harder to come by. More importantly, the plaintiffs’ lawyers argue, they are making changes at Google now that will provide the greatest benefit to many users.

Opponents of Incognito, which has been a threat to the Chrome browser since 2008, say that, at best, the security it provides falls flat in the face of technical marketing management disable many users today; Worse, he says, the feature fills people with a false sense of security, helping companies like Google monitor millions of users who have been tricked into thinking they’re browsing alone.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *