‘Not good enough’: Australian PM criticizes explanation for worker deaths | Israel’s War on Gaza News

[ad_1]

The Australian leader says he wanted “full accountability” for the killing of the Australian by contacting Benjamin Netanyahu.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has slammed Israel’s response to the killing of seven workers in Gaza as “outrageous”, as outrage continues around the world.

Australian woman Zomi Frankcom was one of seven World Central Kitchen (WCK) workers who were killed on Monday when their team was hit by an Israeli jet in central Gaza.

Two US-Canadian citizens, a Pole, a Palestinian and three citizens of the United Kingdom were also killed in what the US charity described as “direct attack“.

Albanese, who earlier this week described Frankcom’s death as “beyond any circumstances”, on Thursday he said that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that the killing of innocent people in war was unacceptable.

“We have to answer how it happened, and what is wrong is what has been said, including that this is a military incident,” Albanese said at a press conference in Sydney.

“This is against humanitarian law – international humanitarian law makes it clear that humanitarian workers must provide that aid and assistance without risking their own lives.”

Albanese said Frankcom’s vehicle was clearly identified as belonging to a charitable organization and should not be in danger.

He said: “His killing in this way is a very sad tragedy for his family and our country is concerned.

The Australian leader said he had spoken to Netanyahu the day before that he wanted “full accountability” and that Israel should conduct a transparent investigation in which the findings are disclosed “so we know how this can be done.”

“There have been many innocent lives lost in Gaza … it should not be the case that innocent Palestinians or the people who support them are made to pay for the actions of the terrorist group Hamas,” he said.

In a video message on Tuesday, Netanyahu said the killings were unjustified and dangerous but that “this happens in war”.

The Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported on Tuesday that an Israeli drone fired three missiles at a WCK convoy mistaking it for a member of Hamas.

The report, which cited unnamed Israeli military sources, said that the drone shot down three different vehicles in a row, despite the fact that they were clearly marked with the WCK logo and even after the operators informed the Israeli army that they had been captured.

The CEO of WCK Jose Andres said in an interview with Reuters on Wednesday that the Israeli army searched his employees “systematically, car by car”.

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *