Australian Prime Minister wants ‘full accountability’ for Gaza worker’s death | Israel’s War on Gaza News

[ad_1]

The Australian leader says the death of an Australian worker is “unacceptable”.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese demanded “full accountability” for the death of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom in Gaza.

Frankcom was one of four international workers who Palestinian officials say were killed by their Palestinian driver on Monday in an Israeli airstrike in the central Gaza Strip town of Deir el-Balah.

Speaking at a press conference in Brisbane, Albanese said Mr Frankcom’s death was “totally unacceptable” and “beyond any other circumstances”.

“These news today are sad. DFAT has also requested an invitation to the Israeli embassy,” Albanese said, referring to Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

“We want full accountability for this. This is a tragedy that should never have happened.”

Albanese repeated his call for “an end to the war”.

He said: “Australians want to end this conflict.”

DFAT said earlier that Australia “has been clear that we expect humanitarian workers in Gaza to have the opportunity to carry out their life-saving work.”

Frankcom has worked for the United States subsidiary World Central Kitchen since 2019, most recently serving as general manager for Asia in Bangkok, according to his LinkedIn profile.

Those killed in Monday’s attack included a UK citizen and a Polish citizen, according to Gaza officials.

WCK founder Jose Andres confirmed on social media that “many” of the organization’s members were killed in the Israeli airstrike, saying he was “heartbroken and sad for their families and friends and for our entire WCK family”.

Al Jazeera’s Hind Khoudary, speaking from al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in Deir el-Balah, where the remains of the deceased were taken, said she had spoken to aid workers earlier.

“Everyone in the hospital is shocked and surprised, they don’t believe that the Israeli army is fighting the international community,” said Khoudary.

The Israeli military said it was investigating “to understand everything that happened” and that it was “making every effort to help keep people safe.”

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *