Canada has launched a program to remove citizens from violence-affected Haiti Political Affairs

[ad_1]

Canada has organized helicopter flights to evacuate vulnerable citizens from Haiti to the neighboring Dominican Republic.

Canada has launched a program to remove its citizens from Haiti, while the Caribbean country is fighting a increase in gang violencepolitical instability and increasing social problems.

Speaking to reporters in Ottawa, the Minister of Foreign Affairs Melanie Joly said Monday that his government would help “most vulnerable Canadians” leave Haiti for the neighboring Dominican Republic.

This includes Canadian citizens who have a medical condition or who have children, Joly said.

“Currently, the Dominican Republic has strict laws [eligibility] required for all who enter the country. Only Canadian citizens with a valid Canadian passport are eligible to travel,” he told reporters.

Joly said 18 Canadian citizens left Haiti through the program on Monday.

Canada is home to about 180,000 people The people of Haiti, and the people of Canada asked the government to do more to help their relatives who are living in Haiti because of the violence that has happened for several weeks.

In early March, armed rebels launched attacks on police stations, prisons and other government facilities across the capital Port-au-Prince and demanded the resignation of Prime Minister Ariel Henry.

More than 360,000 Haitians have fled their homes because of the violence, according to United Nations estimates. Some are trapped in their homes in Port-au-Prince, unable to get food, water and other supplies.

Humanitarian organizations have warned that the country is facing a famine. The military said they stole aid containersand the country’s main airport in Port-au-Prince remains closed due to violence.

“In the past, 80 percent of Port-au-Prince was controlled by criminal groups; now, they control about 90 percent of the neighborhood,” Laurent Uwumuremyi, the Haiti director of Mercy Corps, said on Friday.

“Basic tasks, such as shopping in street markets, factories, or seeing a doctor, are now becoming impossible,” he continued.

“If the situation continues to worsen without efforts to address this looming crisis, Port-au-Prince will soon find itself overwhelmed by this horrific violence.”

When asked on Monday about the progress of the evacuation process in Canada, Mr. Joly, the foreign minister, said that the refugees needed to reach the meeting point in a safe place. From there, they are taken to the Dominican Republic by helicopter.

“I can’t go into detail about the process because I don’t want the terrorists to be disturbed,” he said.

Joly added that the government is looking at other ways to help other Canadians and their family members leave Haiti, as well as Canadian residents and their family members.

The United States launched a helicopter airstrike in Haiti last week.

“We are in the process of arranging for government helicopter flights from Port-au-Prince to Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic,” US State Department deputy spokesman Vedant Patel said. he told reporters on March 20.

“And from Santo Domingo, American citizens will be responsible for going to the United States.”

A State Department spokesman said Saturday that more than 230 US citizens have left Haiti since March 17, according to US media reports.

This includes departures from Port-au-Prince and the northern city of Cap-Haitien, the official said.

The United States is home to the largest Haitian community in the world, with more than 1.1 million people in the country identifying as Haitian in 2022, according to census figures.

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *