Are you looking for an alternative to Twitter since Elon Musk acquired it? Some social media users switched over to Mastodon, a decentralized option with similar structures. For anyone who’s retiring those Twitter fingers and feels open to trying something different, Discord is another great choice.
Unlike Twitter, Discord is divided into interest-based servers without a shared feed. New to the platform? Go read Boone Ashworth’s fantastic guide to Discord with tips to help you get started and navigate the platform without embarrassment. Even after you understand the basics, it can be difficult to find that first server with a community that shares your interests.
Not sure where to start? Here are a few Discord servers worth checking out:
- Midjourney: Next year, generative artificial intelligence will remain one of the most fascinating developments in technology. Want to make some AI-generated art of your own? Join the massive Discord server for Midjourney, a tool that uses AI to transform text prompts into four images. After reading through the server rules, jump into a labeled channel newbies. Midjourney offers about 25 queries for free. Instead of going with the very first thought that pops into your head, consider browsing through the other channels to see active discussions and what key phrases other AI-assisted creators utilize. Hooked? Keep using the tool with a monthly subscription to Midjourney starting at $10 a month. Don’t forget that DALL-E, another tool for generating AI-images, is now available for anyone to try out as well.
- Spacecord: Have you ever stayed up late to watch a meteor shower? Fascinated by NASA’s successful asteroid collision? You may want to mosey on over to the Spacecord server. Channels cover everything from space exploration to amateur astronomy. Visit the #topic-of-the-week channel to discuss issues like democracy in space and the hypothetical Planet 9. Looking for something a little more general? The Science and Technology server might be a good place for you to start.
- r/Apple: Oh, you’re also a fan of gadgets and gizmos? Consider taking a peek at the r/Apple and r/Google Discord servers. These servers are not affiliated with the companies discussed; they are an extension of communities formed on Reddit. People who are entrenched in the Apple ecosystem can request purchasing advice and give their two cents on the latest iOS updates.
- r/Google: Hon Team Pixel? Grateful for that Stadia refund? The r/Google server may be the place for you. On this server, Google users and device owners can post through the latest IO presentation and ask for technical support from the community. It even includes a feed of the company’s Twitter posts.
- Buildapc: Whether you’re constructing an elaborate setup or just tinkering with the hardware, PC enthusiasts may feel at home on the Buildapc server. It’s a great hub to discover new build advice and show off your masterpiece.
- Nerdforge: Enjoy geeking out on other DIY projects? You might connect with people who have similar interests in the Nerdforge server, an extension of a YouTube channel with the same name. Paint the perfect miniature or knit a cute hat? Show it off in the #share-your-projects channel.
- Whatever Game You’re Playing: Discord remains a paradise for gamers. You can join a large server to discuss most mainstream games, like Elden Ring or Pokémon. Or you can become part of a smaller community formed around an indie game, like Lonely Mountains: Downhill. Stoked about the upcoming release of Starfield? Check out the Bethesda Game Studio serverwhere you’ll also find channels to discuss The Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises. From Call of Duty so Cult of the Lambodds are any game you’re obsessed with has an active server.
Yes, a lot of the communities revolve around video games, but that’s not the complete picture. Try searching for a community based on one of your hobbies, like plants or 3D printing. Although there’s not a server for everything, the selection is wider than you might initially think.
If you are unable to find a server that piques your interests, then your best option could be to set up a fresh Discord server. It’s easy to cultivate an invite-only space for your expat Twitter mutuals! It’s far more enjoyable than alternatives, like Zoom, when it comes to digitally hanging out and connecting with friends. For tools to keep your little corner of the internet safe and fun, check out WIRED’s roundup of the best Discord bots.