Identity theft on social networks is a serious offense and Instagram addresses it with utmost priority. If you’ve spotted someone impersonating your identity on Instagram, we’ll help you to put an end to it. In this guide, we have discussed three effective methods to stop someone impersonating you on Instagram. In addition, you can also learn how to remove fake and bot followers from your Instagram account.
Ways To Stop Someone Impersonating You On Instagram
Report the Impersonating Account to Instagram
The quickest method to stop an impersonating account on Instagram is to report it through its app or web version. If an account gets reported, it is reviewed by the ‘Instagram Community Review team’ to check for any violated community guidelines where you will be asked to submit your identity proof. Upon successful verification, the impersonating account including all its posts will be removed from Instagram. Here’s how you can report it:
Using Instagram Mobile App
1. Open the Instagram app on your smartphone and locate the profile that you believe is impersonating you or someone.
2. Next, tap on the three-dot icon in the top-right corner and press the Report option.
3. Further, tap on Report Account and press the option stating ‘It’s Pretending to be someone else’.
4. Choose your target option for ‘Who is this account pretending to be’ and tap on the Next button.
That’s it. You’ve successfully reported an impersonating account to Instagram for review using its mobile app.
Using Web / Desktop
2. Next, click on the three-dot icon next to the profile name.
3. Click on the Report button.
4. Choose the option for the Report Account.
5. Further, click on ‘It’s pretending to be someone else’.
6. On the next page, select the target person that the account is trying to impersonate and click on the Next button to report it.
That’s it. You’ve successfully reported an impersonating account using the Instagram web app.
Fill out the Offical Report Form to put an end to the Impersonating Account
If you haven’t been successful in removing the account impersonating you on Instagram using the first method, then you can fill out its official form to report the same. Here’s how you can gain access to this form and use it to your advantage:
1. Open a new tab on your web browser and access the report form to file a report against the impersonating Instagram account.
2. Tick the following from the list of available options:
- Someone created an account pretending to be me or my friend.
- Yes, I am the person being impersonated.
3. Next, provide the necessary details to the form such as your full name, email address, full name, and username of the account that you’re reporting.
4. Further, you need to take a picture of yourself holding a recognized government identity card ensuring that your face and the ID contents are clearly visible. Make sure to save this picture in a JPEG format and upload it by pressing the Choose File button.
5. You can also add other additional info in the info section provided at the bottom of this form.
6. Once completed, press the Send button to send your details for reporting the impersonating Instagram account.
That’s it. You need to wait for a few working days to get an official response from the Instagram team to resolve the situation.
Ask your Friends to report the Impersonating Account on Instagram
Another effective method to remove your impersonating account from Instagram is through multiple violation reports. It is often observed that when a specific Instagram account is reported multiple times by different users, the Instagram Review team takes immediate action on it. While there is no specific number of report counts specified by Instagram on the same, a significant count might do the job.
You can ask your friends on Instagram and other social networks to report the impersonating account (using the first method above) to get it reviewed for violation. The more, the merrier.
Q1: What happens after you report an impersonator on Instagram?
Depending on the violation severity, Instagram may shadowban or remove the entire account, including all its posts.
Q2: How much time does Instagram take to remove Impersonating account upon successful verification?
It usually takes about 24 hours to get an official response from the Instagram team but it may take up to 2-3 working days in some cases depending on the analysis complexity of the reported account.
Q3: How many reports does it take to remove a fake Instagram account?
There is no official count on the number of reports required to remove a fake / impersonating account from Instagram but even a small number (say 5-10 reports) can attract the review team to investigate the same.
Final Remarks: Protect your Digital Identity
We hope that this read has helped you to protect your digital identity by reporting the impersonator on Instagram using the above-listed methods. If you find this read helpful and worthy of your time, then hit the Like button and share it with your loved ones to help them under such adverse scenarios. Stay tuned for more awesome walkthroughs and let us know your queries in the comments below.