Twenty men, including senior suspect Salah Abdeslam, have been charged in the November 13, 2015 terrorist attacks that killed 130 people across the French capital.
A long-awaited trial of the 20 men accused of the 2015 terrorist attacks that killed 130 people in Paris has been opened in the French capital.
Opponent Salah Abdeslam believes he is the only survivor of nine terrorists and a suicide bomber who collided with a few minutes – including a restaurant and bar, Bataclan concert hall and theater – November 13, 2015.
Abdeslam appeared in court dressed in black and wearing a black face, under duress for the COVID-19 epidemic. When asked about his job, the 31-year-old removed his face and told the Paris high court rudely: “I have quit my job to become an Islamic State (ISIL) soldier.”
Some suspects are said to be helping them provide guns and vehicles or take part in preparing for the attacks, in which hundreds were also injured.
ISIL, which urged its followers to take up arms against France for interfering in Iraq and Syria.
Worried and waiting
The trial lasted nine months, with nearly 1,800 complainants and more than 300 lawyers taking part in what Justice Minister Eric Dupond-Moretti called an unprecedented running race. The chief judge of the court, Jean-Louis Peries, said it was a memorable case.
Natacha Butler of Al Jazeera, quoted from Paris, said hundreds of witnesses were expected to testify in the case, including survivors.
Survivors and relatives of the victims said they could not bear to hear evidence that would help them understand what happened and why.
Thomas Smette, a Bataclan survivor, told Al Jazeera that he was concerned about the case, but hoped that his testimony would help others.
“The only thing I can do, maybe, is help others say, as I do, I can get better, and that encourages me to witness,” he said.
Attorney Samia Maktouf told Al Jazeera that they had been waiting a long time for trial.
To be honest, from my own… victims can’t put all this down. It is very difficult, but it can help them to progress and know that it is okay, even after six years, there is a lot of effort, and this effort is worth it. ”
Philippe Duperron, whose 30-year-old son Thomas was killed in the attack, said it was important that the victims “could testify, they could tell the perpetrators, the suspects, the perpetrators, the suffering”.
“We look forward to the future because we know that when the case goes awry, the whole thing will come back to haunt us,” said Duperron, a former president of the Victims’ Association who testified in the case.